Saturday, August 25, 2012

A Droplet of Child's Play: A Pollocky Painting Experience

I planned on doing string painting art lesson for my future art class and I thought I'd try it out with my 2.5 year old toddler first. However, string painting turned into a splatter-body-painting extravaganza!

Instead of using the string as intended, my daughter put her hands in the diluted paint and started flinging it every which way. My initial thought was, "Oh no! What a mess!" but I realized it was too late anyway, so I let her fling away. After all, the magic of creativity can't happen without some messes. :)

What a cool splatter effect (even if it was all over the floor, radio, and some toys)!

I love the vibrant tempera paint we used. Previously, we've only used finger painting and acrylic (from this post). The tempera paint we bought was children's grade from an art store so it was non toxic and for the most part, washable. I'd like to enter her art into the Simon Says Children Summer Holidays Challenge. 

All in all, it was really fun watching my little girl paint and she reminded me that art is really all about the process.

5 comments:

Alice said...

this sounds like a really fun activity for kids. glad to hear that your girl had fun doing it!

Lorraine A said...

Beautiful painting Raine :-) all the colours are so very pretty and it looks like you had alot of fun making it too :-)

thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Children's Challenge :-)
luv
Lols x x x

Marlena M. said...

I love the paint splatter! (from Amanda) :)

Marlena M. said...

I love the bright colors!!! (from Shelby)

Marlena M. said...

gorgeous colors!!!!!(from mallory)